Thanks for joining us on Season 6 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI CEO, Al Lopus.
As a leader how do you respond to the feedback you received that isn’t what you want to hear? Listen in as today’s guest inspires us to receive regular, anonymous feedback from staff and to act on it. He believes it will have an eternal consequence for every Christian leader.
Listen to the Audio
What if you could belong to a church “with a heart for those outside the church. A place where anyone can come and connect with God without the risk of being judged. A church that’s rich with ethnic diversity, and a place where kids love to come back each week.” I want you to meet the senior pastor of just such a church. Once you hear his story, you’ll want to hear more—especially when it comes to the leadership and staff who make the church’s ministry possible.
My guest is Dr. Chris Stephens, Senior Pastor of Faith Promise Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. Chris, your life changed forever as you laid in a hospital bed when you were 22. Tell us about that life-defining story.
If you have staff that’s not engaged, there’s no synergism, you’re not going to do effective ministry.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Life-defining story of Dr. Christ Stephens at 22 years old in a hospital bed (02:21)
- The most compelling message of Faith Promise Church (03:30)
- Why is a healthy workplace culture needed for the church to have an impactful ministry? (04:11)
- The benefits of synergism in the church and in the workplace (05:01)
- The power of the Spirit is what makes Christian workplaces stand out (05:33)
- Is it true that honest employee feedback can accurately reveal strengths in communication, trust, and teams? (05:47)
- “If you do not tell the truth we cannot get better” (06:35)
- A positive finding from your most recent survey that indicates they’re on the road to building a thriving culture (07:05)
- Honest feedback can also help identify culture issues bubbling under the surface (08:17)
- “The speed of communication doesn’t necessarily move at the speed of change and ministry” (08:53)
- “If you have staff that’s not engaged, there’s no synergism, you’re not going to do effective ministry.” (09:21)
- Why does Dr. Chris believe caring for people is so needed in a church workplace culture? It must have something to do with grace and love and giving others a second chance (10:05)
- “It’s the heart of God to care for each other.” (10:11)
- “It is critical as leaders that we care for ourselves” (12:44)
- “If you don’t care for your soul, you’ll never be effective at caring for someone else’s soul” (12:59)
- What’s the difference between surveying every year or two years vs. a one-and-done approach? (18:39)
- “If we’re not getting better in our leadership then we’re never going to hit our potential.” (21:50)
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.
Follow our Host
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on Twitter https://twitter.com/allopus
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/allopus/
Email our host at email@example.com