Thanks for joining us on Season 6 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI CEO, Al Lopus.
Today’s episode gets us behind the scenes of one of the largest churches in the United States. Gateway Church has grown to over forty-thousand-weekend attenders and over six-hundred staff. They say that they are all about people. Listen in as today’s guest describes how they walk the talk with their staff and how they care about their spiritual, relational, and professional wellbeing.
Listen to the Audio
The bitter, winter storms in Texas have captured our attention. Many cities and towns, families, and businesses were hit hard. While the folks in Texas remain in our prayers, I say we’re overdue for some good news from the Lone Star state.
That’s why it gives me great delight to welcome Christyl Buchanan, Executive Director of Human Resources at Gateway Church in Southlake, Texas. Christyl, welcome to the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
Our leadership has set a really strong foundation for healthy and thriving culture for our congregation and our staff.“
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- “Our leadership has set a really strong foundation for healthy and thriving culture for our congregation and our staff.” (02:48)
- Having a social covenant with a clear mission and values (03:19)
- What makes Gateway Church so distinctive? (04:00)
- “I’ve really come to learn that an organization’s culture is cultivated from the top down.” (04:29)
- “God’s all about all people.” (06:05)
- Employee engagement for many churches averages about fifty-five percent (06:28)
- One of the many takeaways of surveying your people is realizing that employee engagement at Gateway Church rose from sixty-four percent to seventy-four percent! (06:43)
- 15-5 is an amazing system to use to keep your employees engaged (08:20)
- A weekly check-in, giving a high five, one-on-one meetings with managers (08:25)
- Weekly video updates from leadership (09:10)
- What is the Fun Squad? (10:28)
- What’s a weekly check-in and how is that different from a one-on-one meeting? (12:29)
- One of Gateway’s biggest improvements has been what we call the Healthy Community factor. What goes into building a healthy workplace community? (16:08)
- One inspiring before-and-atter story of an individual, team, or entire department that experienced a break-through that led to a new level of enjoyment, collaboration, and effectiveness (18:26)
- In Christyl’s leadership role, what has inspired or challenged her to learn and grow? (21:00)
- Three specific strengths of Gateway’s culture. These three drivers of flourishing culture affect many churches and organizations (22:37)
- How has Gateway paid attention to and made progress with compensating your people? (23:00)
- A story of how compensation has really been important through this pandemic, and more recently through these terrible winter storms (24:27)
- One or two insights about what’s behind inspirational leadership at Gateway Church? (26:33)
- Why are well-functioning, productive teams so vital in a large church like Gateway? (29:45)
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.
Follow our Host
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on Twitter https://twitter.com/allopus
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/allopus/
Email our host at email@example.com