Thanks for joining us on Season 6 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI CEO, Al Lopus.
You’ve heard the phrase, “Culture eats strategy for breakfast.” Well today, our guests will talk about how bad culture eats your brand for breakfast. Listen in as our guests outline five pillars of your brand promise and six layers of culture to help your brand be effective.
Listen to the Audio
Are you getting the traction you hoped for with your marketing dollars?
Today, our conversation is about a topic that has undermined and wasted countless resources that organizations have invested in their marketing campaigns.
You might be asking why are we talking about marketing on the Flourishing Culture Podcast? Today, I believe we are going to reveal the secret behind expanding your brand.
My guests today are Mark Miller and Ted Vaughn, Cofounders of the Historic Agency and authors of the book Culture Built My Brand: The Secret to Winning More Customers Through Company Culture.
Marketing is being really intentional in how you communicate. God has created you and given you the vision to serve a specific audience. You were created in uniqueness and should be serving out of that uniqueness.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- How Mark and Ted came to create their firm (02:31)
- Solving organizational, culture leadership problems with better marketing and design (02:55)
- Being intentional in how you communicate and how God has created you to serve a specific audience (03:21)
- Signs of a broken culture and a summary of what some of those warning signs are (08:09)
- When you’ve got values that are core to your very culture and yet your people have no idea how they apply to them (08:36)
- “Being healthy organizationally is having people how are on brand.” (09:35)
- “Breakthrough brands have a marquee culture where their people who are healthy and on-brand.” (09:51)
- “The behaviors are not lining up with the brand or their not healthy.” (10:29)
- How you hire, how you fire, how you communicate, how authority and power is divvied up; if it’s not aligned with your brand, it will slowly erode and of your goals (11:10)
- In a Marquee culture, your people are the brightest, shiniest part of your brand (15:55)
- At the core of these relationships is trust. We often describe the trust between leaders and staff are the key to culture. The book addresses two types of trust. How to identify the two sides of trust (17:20)
- “Relational trust vs. functional trust.” (18:06)
- You cannot require trust. Trust is always at the discretion of the individual. (20:14)
- What is so important about investing in culture? (22:20)
- “The culture is going to be the thing that ultimately accelerates you or kills you. It’s just a matter of time.” (23:15)
- Outline a framework for brand and culture alignment. A short summary of the key pillars for our audience (27:27)
- The first pillar is culture: who are you? (27:47)
- The second pillar is your story (27:50)
- The third pillar is product or service (28:05)
- The fourth pillar is experience (28:20)
- The fifth pillar is identity (28:45)
- 6 layers of culture: principle, architecture, rituals, lore, vocabulary, artifacts (30:49)
- Measuring the effectiveness of culture. Doing audits and health assessments; that’s a huge part of healthy culture (41:54)
You cannot require trust. Trust is always at the discretion of the individual.”
Buy Mark and Ted’s book Culture Built My Brand: The Secret to Winning More Customers Through Company Culture.
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.
Follow our Host
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on Twitter https://twitter.com/allopus
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/allopus/
Email our host at email@example.com