Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
Today’s podcast is about one of the most compelling life experiences a faith leader will ever face. Here how one of favorite leaders faced his own dark night and came out with a fresh, new perspective that he calls, bonus time.
All of us are familiar with the phrase “moment of truth.” It’s that moment when life seems to stand still and you come face-to-face with reality.
My guest today, has a remarkable story to tell about how he faced his own moment of truth. What he learned through it all speaks to what matters most in life.
Listen to the Audio
My guest is a dear, longtime friend, Alec Hill. Alec is President Emeritus of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, and he is the author of the new book, Living in Bonus Time: Surviving Cancer, Finding New Purpose.
Alec, welcome back to the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
I want to make the most of the time that I have; deeply investing in people.“
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Preparing the next generation of leaders (02:49)
- Diagnosed with cancer in 2015 (03:07)
- Dealing with startling news (05:15)
- Living at home like house arrest (09:49)
- Keeping your spirits up through the difficult process of treatment (15:48)
- Dealing with survivor’s guilt (17:20)
- Living purposefully (19:46)
- Discovering your own purpose: Bonus time (20:00)
- Making the most of the time that you have; investing deeply in people (21:04)
- Letting go of control (25:14)
Buy a copy of Alec’s book: Living in Bonus Time: Surviving Cancer, Finding New Purpose.
Download the 8 Drivers Reference Guide for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.