Thanks for joining us on Season 6 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI CEO, Al Lopus.
Today we talk with a leader of an organization that will bring new hope and a better life to people who might otherwise have nowhere to turn. It’s a one-of-a-kind story that you need to hear. So listen in, as he highlights the thing that is mission essential for his organization’s success.
Listen to the Audio
There is an organization in central Washington state that will bring new hope and a better life to people who might otherwise have nowhere to turn. It’s a one-of-a-kind story you need to hear. And with me is a leader who is best qualified to tell this story.
I’m so grateful to have with me Mike Johnson, CEO of the Yakima Union Gospel Mission in Yakima, Washington. Mike, welcome to the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
For us, our workplace culture is mission essential. It’s literally our change engine.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- The Yakima Union Gospel Mission is dedicated to “bring the unique hope of Christ to the struggling on the streets.” (03:50)
- “For us, our workplace culture is mission essential. It’s literally our change engine” (06:54)
- How receiving employees’ honest, anonymous feedback helps to build strength into workplace culture (07:57)
- Yakima Union Gospel Mission had a clear idea of their values but didn’t know how well they were operationalizing them (08:10)
- “What inspires people is how values are at play in their work.” (09:38)
- Yakima Union Gospel Mission made sure their core values were clear, with strong buy-in, and then implementing around them in every way at every level (10:02)
- “We do role, not rank. There is only one rank in the Kingdom of God, and it’s Servant.” (10:56)
- If Yakima Union Gospel Mission hadn’t surveyed its employees, it might have been left with a little or a lot of subjective guesswork trying to figure out where and how to make its culture better (12:06)
- “Our core values are Love, Professionalism and Outcomes” (12:36)
- “If we don’t measure our culture, we betray our values.” (13:18)
- Dealing with silos within an organization (17:58)
- How to improve collaboration, communication, and onboarding (19:40)
- What’s one way you’ve grown as the Mission keeps improving, as we like to say, on the Road to Flourishing? (24:11)
- “The most important thing I can do is model our values and show our people that they matter” (25:55)
- “Operationalize your core values or you will never be trusted” (31:33)
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on Apple Podcasts and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.
Follow our Host
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on Twitter https://twitter.com/allopus
Follow our Host, Al Lopus, on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/allopus/
Email our host at email@example.com