Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! Our conversation today will center around the question: What does a leader do to build high levels of trust in their organization? As we’ll learn, it has a lot to do with making regular trust deposits into your culture through transparency, consistency and integrity.
It is our distinct privilege to talk with Bill Robinson, one of our early champions of organizational culture in Christian workplaces. Bill is perhaps best known for his role as president of Whitworth University for 17 years, retiring in 2010. For more than 10 years, Whitworth held the record for the highest scores on the BCWI Employee Engagement Survey in Christian higher education.
Since his retirement, Bill continues to play significant roles in Christian leadership positions. He serves as Chairman of the Princeton Theological Seminary Board, and for a year, he played a key role as interim President of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
Listen to the Audio
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How to build trust gradually with consistency over time
- Recognizing and leveraging huge opportunities to make a big trust deposit
- Making an administrative commitment to transparency so that it seeps into the rest of the culture
- Opening up the budget process to advocates of each department
- How to lead from your strengths
- Tips and tricks to safeguard your integrity
- The value in changing your organizational structure so the human resource director reports directly to the president
I hope Christian organizations can be leaders and not followers in areas of trust, grace, truth and transparency.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Explore Additional Resources
- Find Bill on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Whitworth University: whitworth.edu
- Find Whitworth on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: 4 Ways Your Transparency Builds Trust
- Read Bill’s books: Leading People from the Middle: The Universal Mission of Mind and Heart and Incarnate Leadership
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.