Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! Cross-cultural mission workers are some of the hardest-working people in the world, facing challenges such as living overseas in a very different culture, often with a family and responsible for raising their own support. And that’s just the start. All of this raises the question, how can we provide the organizational support necessary to help these Kingdom workers and their ministries thrive?
James has an extensive background in statistics and analytics, dedicating himself to provide ministries with actionable research. He has also served overseas as a missionary.
Ken is the co-author of the book Help Your Missionaries Thrive: Leadership Practices That Make a Difference. Ken serves as a consultant to leaders in missionary-sending organizations, and he has been the project leader as we customized the BCWI staff survey for cross cultural missionaries. He has served all over the world and lived in Kenya and East Africa for a time.
Listen to the Audio
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- GMI & BCWI’s ENGAGE Research Project: a version of our Employee Engagement Survey, adapted to the needs of mission workers, which to-date has surveyed more that 3,000 Christian missionaries to determine what has helped them be effective and engaged
- Discussion of survey results and themes across many international mission-sending organizations
- The importance of a strong retention rate to see long-term Kingdom impact
- Leadership strategies for increasing retention
- Why retention rate is a good predictor of the well-being of the field staff that remain
- The two most common areas for improvement in missionary managers: providing feedback and spiritual guidance
- How an improvement in missionaries’ holistic health (spiritual, emotional, mental, physical) can impact their ministry effectiveness
- The importance of leadership competency, not just caring
When missionaries are cared for, they can live with greater authenticity, thus the Gospel becomes more potent.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Explore Additional Resources
- Learn more about GMI: gmi.org
- Find GMI on Facebook and Twitter
- Find Ken on LinkedIn
- Find James on Twitter
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: 4 Lessons Missionaries Can Teach Every Leader
- Read the book: Help Your Missionaries Thrive: Leadership Practices That Make a Difference
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.