Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! Our research indicates that one of the top four drivers of employee engagement is what we call Sustainable Strategy. So the question we’re going to explore today is: How does a Christian faith-based organization develop and execute an effective, even sustainable, strategy?
Of the more than 700 organizations we’ve surveyed, Joni and Friends has consistently scored on the high end of this dimension. Today, we have the pleasure of visiting with their President and Chief Operating Officer, Doug Mazza.
Listen to the Episode
Good ministry requires a Christ-centered, biblically-based vision that everyone is dedicated to AND good business principles. Those things are not incompatible.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Doug’s story of how God redirected his life path by turning his greatest tragedy into his greatest joy
- Professionalizing the approach to ministry
- Joni and Friends’ Four Pillars of Sustainable Strategy
- The importance of measuring your culture
- 4 questions to ask when considering launching a new program
- Determining where, when and how to expand to new locations
- Goal setting strategies to use with your governance board
- Moving from a survival strategy to a growth strategy to a legacy strategy
- The importance of integrating solid business planning and bold faith
You’re never going to get the strategy right until you get your culture right.
Explore Additional Resources
- Find Doug on LinkedIn
- Find Joni & Friends on Facebook and Twitter
- Learn more about Joni & Friends: joniandfriends.org
- Learn more in our blog post: Joni and Friends’ 4 Pillars of Sustainable Strategy
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.