Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! Leading a Christian university has got to be one of the most challenging jobs in our changing society. Innovative and inspirational leadership is certainly critical for these Christian higher education institutions to not only survive, but thrive and develop the next generation of Christian leaders. So what are some of the breakthrough strategies that are working?
Today, we have the pleasure of talking with Dr. Roger Parrott, who is in his 20th year as president of Belhaven University, located in Jackson, Mississippi. Being a university president was like joining the family business for Roger. He is a third-generation college president, and was one of America’s youngest college presidents at age 34.
Belhaven has received some of the top scores of any Christian higher education institution to take the BCWI Employee Engagement Survey. Tune into today’s interview to discover the secrets to fostering an engaged faculty.
Listen to the Audio
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How Belhaven aligned a shift in culture with a shift to multi-site campus and online learning
- Building a culture that’s responsive to opportunities rather than stuck in a pre-defined plan
- Destination planning vs. operational planning: Being a good steward of what God has given right now without looking too far into the future
- Drilling down into departmental feedback to isolate areas of improvement
- Ideas excite and decisions frighten: How to talk about ideas as they are bubbling up to increase employee engagement
- Creating a culture of evaluation and accountability
When you have a healthy culture, the energy is outward toward the mission rather than inward toward the struggle.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Explore Additional Resources
- Learn more about Belhaven University: belhaven.edu
- Find Belhaven on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Find Roger on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Learn more in last week’s blog post: 4 Strategies to Catch the Wind of Opportunity
- Read Roger’s book: The Longview: Lasting Strategies for Rising Leaders
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.