Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! What leadership practices in Christian organizations are having a positive, dramatic impact to effectively address a huge global problem? And how does an organization’s staff culture impact its ability to change our world?
Listen to the Episode
Our guest today has an answer. He leads an organization that’s addressing one of our world’s greatest problems: poverty. We’re talking with Peter Greer, President and CEO of HOPE International, a global nonprofit focused on Christ-centered job creation, savings mobilization and microenterprise development.
HOPE International takes a holistic approach to help families in poverty by investing in them. And what’s more, we are convinced that their genuine care and compassion for their own staff is a huge part of the solution to poverty overall.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- HOPE International’s framework for staff development
- Relational: Being intentional about who staff is learning from
- Instruction: Offering a $500 budget for each employee to take professional development courses
- Experiential growth: E.g., stretch assignments or site exchange at another organization
- Adding development to the performance management process
- HOPE’s 5 C Model for a Healthy Staff
- HOPE’s definition of culture with the acronym PASSION: Prayer, Allegiance, Service, Stewardship, Innovation, Optimism, Nurturing
- Celebrating employee success by nominating a PASSION Practitioner of the Week (someone who has lived out a certain aspect of their culture) and rewarding with a gift card
- Simple acts of love and compassion to take the teachings of Jesus seriously and love our neighbors daily
- Adding a team member whose primary job is to care for the staff
- Focusing on staff care and leading indicators of stress before employees hit burnout
Our impact in the families we serve has to be consistent with our impact in the families that work for us.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Explore Additional Resources
- Find Peter on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Find HOPE International on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Learn more about HOPE International: hopeinternational.org
- Find HOPE International’s culture-building resources: hopeinternational.org/resources
- Read Peter’s latest book: 40/40 Vision: Clarifying Your Mission in Midlife
- Learn more in last week’s blog post: Should Growth Be Your Organization’s Ultimate Goal?
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.