Thanks for joining us on Season 4 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast , brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company, brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus. Today, we have the pleasure of talking to Mike Cole, Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Chief People Officer at? CRISTA Ministries in the Seattle area. ?
Listen to the Audio
Mike, I’ve been looking forward to our time, together. I’m especially excited for you to talk about the culture turnaround at CRISTA Ministries over the past ten years… at least the last chapter since your arrival. But first, tell us a little about yourself and the scope of CRISTA.
We endorse the BCWI survey and want to use the same language in setting expectations for our teams.”
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Culture turnaround at CRISTA Ministries over the past ten years
- Experience working with Target and Starbucks
- CRISTA is made of up of 2,000 people across seven ministries and 27 countries
- CRISTA is a family of ministries
- Families can be messy
- Managing shared resources in facilities, IT, HR, security and donor relations
- Measuring a large group of employees’ engagement is tough
- How we connect with our faith makes us better in what we do as a nonprofit service organization
- “You can’t share what you don’t have”
- We are an organization that works on relationships
- We could do more with systems and processes but I don’t ever want to lose our focus on relationships
- We really want to go deep into the connection between a leader and his or her team because it is through the relationships we experience at work that we are able to build strong relationships with those we serve internally and externally
- How The FLOURISH model helped reach culture goals
- The importance of hiring the best person possible
- Address tension through crucial conversations right away
- RACI: Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed
- Development plans for leaders
- Since we wholly endorse the BCWI survey and language, we want to use the same language in setting expectations for our teams.
- What we are focusing on now is weaving the FLOURISH model language into our infrastructure.
- If we are asking people about their experience in these areas then we should be setting these areas as expectations even before we hire people.
Download the 8 Drivers Reference Guide for FREE. Fantastic Teams Life-giving Work Outstanding Talent Uplifting Growth Rewarding Compensation Inspirational Leadership Sustainable Strategy Healthy Communication One or more of these eight measures of workplace culture is either strengthening (or weakening) your organization right now.
Read the Post
Read the blog post:
Read The Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of episode here
Al would love to address your questions about creating a flourishing workplace culture. Send an email to AskAl@bcwinstitute.org
The BCWI Employee Engagement Survey
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.