Thanks for joining us on Season 2 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast! As a leader, what’s one of the hardest things you face at work? What’s the one thing you put off, the thing you avoid, the thing you absolutely do not look forward to? If your answer is “having difficult conversations,” then you’re really going to get a lot out of today’s episode.
Listen to the Episode
Sheila Heen has authored two New York Times best sellers. The first is Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most. The second book is Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well. She’s also written a workbook titled Thank God for the Feedback.
You may have also seen Sheila present at last year’s Global Leadership Summit. And if you missed her there, be sure to catch her at the Church Culture Conference, hosted by Willow Creek Community Church. On October 17-18, 2016, join us to sharpen your skills and network with top human resource professionals in the church world.
The fastest way for a team to change and improve is for the leaders to become better receivers of feedback.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Why it’s so difficult to receive feedback, yet so necessary for growth
- How Jesus models walking in the tension between accepting us as we are, while challenging us to learn and grow
- ACE Model of Feedback: Appreciation, Coaching and Evaluation
- We need all three kinds of feedback to develop
- How Christians can get beyond a fear of engaging in difficult conversations
- How to create more permission to give and receive feedback among your team
- Three triggered reactions that block your ability to receive feedback and how to respond to them
Explore Additional Resources
- Find Sheila on LinkedIn
- Learn more in our blog post: How To Use Feedback to Strengthen Your Leadership
Read Sheila’s Books
- Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
- Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well.
- Thank God for the Feedback: Using Feedback to Fuel your Personal, Professional and Spiritual Growth
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.