Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! What is the role of the Board of Directors when it comes to stewarding the health of a Christian non-profit’s employee culture? To help us with this question, our guest today is board governance expert Bob Andringa.
A respected leader in Christian higher education, Bob was president of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities for 12 years and had a significant impact on governance in Christian higher ed. CCCU is the association of 175 distinctly Christian colleges and universities in 24 nations.
Some would say he retired 10 years ago, but Bob says he has “refired” as he coaches nonprofit CEOs and their boards. Adding to his “refired” life, he has also founded a new organization called Network Life, which is fueled by his passion that Christian students in secular universities to live and learn together as Christ-followers.
Listen to the Audio
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Characteristics of great boards
- Defining roles of the board in relation to staff, CEO, committees and board chair
- Recruiting board members with a defined set of needs; planning to get the right people in the right seats
- The importance of a strong board chair
- Doing your “homework” so each meeting’s focus is on meaningful discussion rather than staff updates
- The danger in making board decisions based on anecdotal hearsay about the health of your organization
- How to develop a board policy manual
- Benefits of having a human resource committee on the board
- Conducting CEO 360 Reviews by the board
Great boards of great faith-based nonprofits know that God is faithful.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Explore Additional Resources
- Find Bob on LinkedIn
- Learn more about Bob’s consulting services at The Andringa Group: theandringagroup.com
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: 6 Strengths of a Great Board
- Read Bob’s book: Good Governance for Nonprofits: Developing Principles and Policies for an Effective Board
- Read Bob’s book: The Nonprofit Board Answer Book
- Download Bob’s 80 best practices to teach and coach boards to be successful
- Download a sample Board Policy Manual
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.