Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! Over the last 20 years, the publishing world has radically changed. Amazon, self-publishing, publishing software and other influences have dramatically impacted the Christian publishing world. In fact, the consolidation in the number of independent Christian publishers has been staggering.
These changes lead to the question, “How has InterVarsity Press not only survived, but thrived in the face of tremendous innovation and change?”
One person knows the answer better than anyone: Bob Fryling, the publisher of InterVarsity Press, and the author of several books, including The Leadership Ellipse: Shaping How We Lead by Who We Are. The insights he has to share about creating a healthy, flourishing workplace culture can speak to you and your organization in any industry.
Listen to the Audio
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How IVP has adapted their business to navigate the industry’s changes
- How the BCWI Employee Engagement Survey has given an objective, longitudinal evaluation over the 13 years they have been using it
- Intentional ways to build trust among staff
- Implementing change at the departmental level
- Structuring regular update meetings to include new employee introductions, celebrations, financial reports, and constant reminders of your vision and purpose
- Transparent communication to limit the spreading of false information and instill trust in leadership
- IVP’s executive leadership team retreats and how they report back to whole company
- Inviting prayer and insight into your company
- The tension between a leader’s internal relationship with God vs. external relationships; how they inform one another, and how to integrate them
- Adding Sabbath into your personal disciplines and your company values
- Thinking in terms of fullness in leadership rather than scarcity
Explore Additional Resources
- Learn more about InterVastity Press: ivpress.com
- Find IVP on Facebook and Twitter
- Find Bob on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Read Bob’s book: The Leadership Ellipse: Shaping How We Lead by Who We Are
- IVP’s line of books on spiritual formation: Formatio
- Called by Mark Laberton
- Fool’s Talk: Recovering the Art of Christian Persuasion by Os Guinness
- Knowing God by J. I. Packer
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.