Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! How does a privately-owned architecture and construction firm, focused solely on serving churches, build a healthy employee culture?
Brad Eisenmann, President of Aspen Group, can speak to this question as well as anyone. Aspen specializes in designing and building innovative church spaces, but it’s more than just a business. With a mission to create space for ministry impact, it really is a ministry to churches and the people they serve. Their team rallies around this laser-sharp mission statement, which has become the basis for both their flourishing culture and thriving business. The lessons Brad has learned about building a healthy culture can benefit your organization today and for years to come.
Listen to the Audio
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Transitioning staff after a split from a parent company
- Clarity on mission, vision and values can help make sure you have the right people on your team
- How Aspen Group used the BCWI Employee Engagement Survey to weather the 2008 Recession
- Aspen’s road to rebuilding their culture (in addition to rebuilding the business) after the market crashed
- A winning strategy can carry your team even through bleak conditions
- Creating a mission-driven, values based company, and helping your team coalesce around a mission statement
- Realigning the organizational structure into a cross-functional team
- Aspen’s open studio office mirrors their organizational structure to break down silos, maximize collaboration and encourage employee engagement
- How a physical space can impact your team, and thus your ministry
Explore Additional Resources
- Learn more about Aspen Group: aspengroup.com
- Find Aspen Group on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Find Brad on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Watch this great video about the church Aspen built in Gary, Indiana. Brad mentions this as an example of what Aspen Group is all about.
- Read more about why Aspen redefined their mission statement
Aspen Group’s Values:
- Love one another—treat employees, partners, and clients as we like to be treated.
- Find the Win-Win—develop shared goals, tirelessly seek the win for all involved.
- Do what’s right—honor every commitment; live biblical values.
- Always learn—Seek innovative solutions, learn all we can, grow from our mistakes.
- Extend grace—demonstrate a spirit of mercy, grace, and generosity in every relationship.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.