Thanks for joining us on Season 2 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast! In this episode, Al has the great pleasure of talking with longtime friend, colleague and board and leadership consultant John Pearson. Join us for this fun and far-reaching conversation that covers everything from great leadership books, to board governance best practices, and even how to infuse fun (or as John likes to call it, “hoopla”) into your workplace culture.
Listen to the Audio
John’s fingerprints are all over the founding of the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Yet, he’s known for so much more than that. For 25 combined years, he led Christian Camping International/USA (now Christian Camp and Conference Association), the Willow Creek Association, and Christian Management Association (now Christian Leadership Alliance). Today, he’s a management and board governance consultant whose clients read like a who’s who of respected ministry organizations.
Be faithful, be fruitful or be gone.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How to integrate what you’re reading into your organization’s culture
- Delegating your reading to fast-track your knowledge and create a library of resources
- Knowing your VPs’ learning styles: Do they like to read or listen?
- Addressing your board’s assumptions up front in the strategic planning process
- Simplifying your strategic planning with a 3-5 year plan and SMART goals
- 3 hats board members should wear: governance, volunteer and participant
- Assessing your board using ECFA survey tools
- Resources on how to be a good board member
- Adding a little “hoopla” to your workplace culture
Explore Additional Resources
- Read John’s book: Mastering the Management Buckets: 20 Critical Competencies for Leading Your Business of Non-Profit
- See John’s Top Books of the Year
- Subscribe to John’s weekly e-newsletter for his book reviews
- Board resources mentioned in the episode:
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: 3 Secrets to Read More Leadership Books (And Apply Their Solutions) in Less Time
- Find John on social media: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook
- Learn more about John Pearson Associates, Inc.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.