Thanks for joining us on Season 2 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast! What can a ministry’s Senior Leader and Board Chair do to better their working relationship and thus increase the health of an organization’s culture?
Listen to the Audio
“A well-functioning board is the single-most important variable for any ministry that wants to achieve its mission.” So says Bob Andringa, who has made a career out of helping boards and executive leaders succeed simultaneously. Today, he’ll help us identify and optimize the best possible relationship between a board chair and the senior executive of a Christian ministry organization.
As Managing Partner of The Andringa Group and Network Life, Bob has worked with more than 300 faith-based organizations. He and his colleague Fred Laughlin are co-authors of the book, Good Governance for Nonprofits: Developing Principles and Policies for an Effective Board. Bob and his wife, Sue, make their home in the sunny community of Scottsdale, Arizona.
There’s no magical solution to great board governance, but a healthy CEO/Chair partnership goes a long way.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Foundational understandings a Board Chair and CEO must share to have a good relationship
- Allowing the Board to govern and the staff to manage
- How to effectively use a Board Policy Manual
- The difference between a corporate and nonprofit Board Chair role
- 4 hats board members wear throughout their interactions with the ministry
- Term limits for board members
- CEO input on Board Chair selection
- How a Board Chair can enhance the leadership of a CEO
- Practical tips for good Chair and CEO communication habits
Explore Additional Resources
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: 3 Practical Steps to Better Board Chair and CEO Collaboration
- Listen to Bob’s previous podcast interview: Episode 49: Building an Excellent Board of Directors
- Download a free sample Board Policy Manual
- Find other resources on good governance Bob recommends
- For more on Board governance, listen to our interview with John Pearson
- Learn more about Network Life
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.