Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI CEO, Al Lopus.
Have you been working to identify your blind spots? As a leader, overcoming your blind spots is important in becoming your best true self. Today, we highlight a tool that helps you do just that.
Listen to the Audio
If you know anything about the Enneagram—or?even if you aren’t familiar with?the?Enneagram—the next few minutes could be tremendously important to you, your relationship with God, and your continuing spiritual growth. My guest is Alice? Fryling, who is a?seasoned?spiritual director, presenter,?and the author?of nine books, including her very popular book,?Mirror for the Soul: A Christian Guide to the Enneagram. ?Alice, welcome to the Flourishing Podcast.??
My journey to the Enneagram has not only helped me get to know myself better but has helped me to get to know God better.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- A brief introduction into the Enneagram (03:59)
- An ancient paradigm that describes nine different ways that people look at life (04:16)
- The Enneagram’s thesis is that we all view life through our own giftedness, for better or for worse (04:26)
- No. 1 on the Enneagram is the Perfectionist (05:02)
- Each space on the Enneagram describes what the person focuses on as well as the compulsion that comes when overplaying their gifts (06:10)
- “We cannot know God unless we know ourselves and we cannot know ourselves unless we know God.” -John Calvin (09:07)
- What is the false self and the true self? (11:46)
- A lot of leaders in Christian organizations are 1s, 3s, or 8s (16:02)
- How can the Enneagram be a tool for spiritual growth? (20:46)
- A favorite story about 3, the successful achiever (24:36)
- As we mature we exhibit more of the wholeness of the Enneagram (31:11)
- The Enneagram is a long process of self-awareness (33:25)
- What’s at stake for the leader who might balk at gaining more self-awareness and a deeper knowledge of God through using the Enneagram? (35:59)
- “The Enneagram is one tool to enrich the experience of transformation, and it’s a gift to those of us who have the privilege of watching God’s grace at work.” (39:30)
Buy Alice’s book Mirror for the Soul: A Christian Guide to the Enneagram
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.