Welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast! What are the secrets of leaders who continue to have significant influence over long periods of time, where age doesn’t seem to slow them down or see their influence diminish? Today, we’re talking to just such a leader: Jerry White, president emeritus of The Navigators. He doesn’t disappoint in offering sage advice for Christian leaders at any stage.
With his Ph.D. in astronautics, Jerry served as an Air Force mission controller at Cape Canaveral, working on the beginnings of America’s space program. He is the co-author of the current textbook on astrodynamics at the Air Force Academy, and he retired from the Air Force Reserves as a Major General. In 1986, he was elected as the third president of The Navigators and served as International President until 2005, nearly 19 years. He is also the co-author of a dozen Christian books with his wife and ministry partner, Mary.
Listen to the Audio
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Experiencing burnout from working and leading in the flesh
- Disciplines to restore yourself, protect from future burnout and lay a foundation for leadership, including practical tips during travel
- Rethinking our theology on work
- The tragic loss of Jerry’s son, how God used it for good, and the leadership lessons it taught him
- The importance of longstanding community, including stories from Jerry’s own Covenant Group: three couples who have dedicated themselves to helping each other follow Christ for a lifetime
- Transitioning from organizational leadership while continuing to exhibit influence in building the body of Christ
No one leads for a lifetime. They lead for a season and continue to exhibit influence.
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Explore Additional Resources
- Find Jerry on LinkedIn
- Learn more about The Navigators: navigators.org
- Find The Navigators on Facebook and Twitter
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: When Personal Tragedy Strikes: 4 Responses of a Leader
- Read Mary’s book on recovering from the loss of their son: Harsh Grief, Gentle Hope
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.