Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
What are four ways you can improve diverse relationships in your organization? Today’s guest brings insights from her life and her book called The Colors of Culture.
Listen to the Audio
What if you could look at racism, racial righteousness, and personal identity in a way that didn’t threaten you but rather moved you inside to truly love others from the perspective of us having “one blood,” because we’re all made in the image of Jesus.
My guest today is going to show you how and why this tremendous, radical truth speaks to where you live and work and walk with God.
It gives me great pleasure to welcome in Dr. MelindaJoy Mingo, author of a timely and significant new book from Intervarsity Press titled, The Colors of Culture: The Beauty of Diverse Friendship. MelindaJoy, welcome to the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
There can be joy in justice. We want every person: man, woman, boy, and girl, to understand their worth as God has created them.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- The story about how The Colors of Culture came about (03:17)
- Learning to love others and serve others across racial divides, ethnicities, class, and lived experiences (03:44)
- Ubuntu: a South African word for community (06:58)
- I am because we are (07:07)
- Who is my neighbor? (08:46)
- What is racial righteousness? (10:40)
- “There can be joy in justice. We want every person: man, woman, boy, and girl, to understand their worth as God has created them.” (12:14)
- “I came to realize that the greatest journey with anyone is the journey of compassion, understanding, and empathy, which can only happen when individuals are transparent with each other.” (13:27)
- Mirroring Jesus in your workplace and in your role (20:00)
- “There’s no such thing as an insignificant human being” (21:59)
- Not being afraid of diversity (26:17)
- What are microaggressions? (30:58)
Buy MelindaJoy Mingo’s book The Colors of Culture: The Beauty of Diverse Friendships
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.