Thanks for joining us on Season 6 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI CEO, Al Lopus.
What are the characteristics of a leader who has faced the challenges of a toxic workplace culture and moved it to Flourishing? In today’s episode, you’ll witness how this leader faced the challenge with prayer, courage, humility, and perseverance. Stay tuned to hear for yourself!
Listen to the Audio
I’m so grateful that my guest is Kevin McKee, Senior Pastor of The Chapel, a growing church in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Kevin, welcome to The Flourishing Culture Podcast.
The survey revealed what we already knew, that there was a problem. What it helped us with was to identify that problem.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- The Chapel’s mission is to help people meet, know and follow Jesus on the campus, in the city, and around the world (02:24)
- The Chapel faced a very challenging situation some time back. They surveyed their people and asked for their open, honest, anonymous feedback. The feedback revealed some important things about the condition of their culture (03:32)
- “The survey revealed what we already knew, that there was a problem. What It helped us with was to identify that problem” (04:54)
- Address some staffing issues and letting go of employees who are dear friends (06:50)
- “Your team was extremely helpful in coaching me. Cary Humphries was there gently remind me of some things.” (07:40)
- The steps that had to be made to ensure the health of their culture (09:50)
1. Find a way to clearly identify the problems (09:55)
2. Address the problems (10:12)
3. With each issue you address, you’ll have to adjust (10:14)
4. Hire toward health even if you can’t hire to a particular unique culture (10:59)
5. “For us, we were able (with help) to make some hires that really propelled us into greater health” (11:16)
6. With foundational health, identify and clarify your staff‘s unique culture and hire toward that (12:15)
7. “Monitor staff health — we don’t drift into the best versions of our self. We’re likely to drift from the best version of ourselves! We will continue to take BCWI annually.” (12:21)
- Facing personal leadership shortcomings (12:53)
- Patient listening until the other party has felt heard (18:04)
- How to cultivate celebration in a workplace culture (19:41)
- A winning tip for how to improve their workplace, especially in this time of COVID when so many are working remotely. (21:00)
1. Start with prayer: (21:11)
2. Be humble and ask for help (21:35)
3. Look deeply into the mirror (21:52)
4. Listen well (21:54)
5. Bring your board along (22:03)
6. Prepare for a long haul (22:23)
7. Don’t simply work for health, but the unity of the spirit and the glory of God (23:25)
- Set the healthy culture before the unique culture (22:36)
- A focus for 2021 joy and excellence (25:45)
- “God wants church leaders to create healthy environments. It’s not a trend, it’s not the latest buzzword. The idea of a healthy, family, team—that’s biblical.” (28:27)
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.