Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
Do you believe your workplace culture is linked to your organization’s outcomes? Today we discuss why it is important to keep your culture in focus with five specific steps that Compassion Australia uses to build a healthy workplace.
Listen to the Audio
Deborah Adams is Executive Director for Compassion Australia. Through its Child Sponsorship Program, more than 2 million people are currently being released from poverty in Jesus’ name.
As Executive Director of Ministry Services, Deb is all about managing and guiding Compassion Australia’s workplace culture to advance and fulfill Compassion’s ministry goals and priorities.
Deb, welcome to the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
Don’t take your eyes off culture; like any relationship, it needs continual attention. It must be a priority.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Humor is a way of connecting in the workplace and bringing lightness and energy to tasks (03:17)
- Discovering the value of healthy organizational culture (04:18)
- 2018 survey results showed a critical moment for the organization (4:39)
- Don’t take your eyes off culture (05:05)
- Measurement is your friend (06:12)
- You can make a significant impact on culture in a short amount of time (06:19)
- When you give your people the chance, they will give you feedback (09:04)
- After receiving your results, what steps did you take to improve your culture? (12:00)
- 1. Communicate the results (12:35)
- 2. Put information in the hands of managers (12:45)
- 3. Look for those 2 -3 things we can do organizationally to intentionally build culture (13:01)
- 4. Keep telling the stories (13:15)
- 5. Re-take the survey (13:57)
- The importance of development goals (17:13)
- How to develop trust between leadership and employees (18:35)
- “As we worked on healthy communication, on accountability, on developing people – we’ve seen that trust build.” (19:31)
- Openly sharing the survey results, even the uncomfortable parts (19:51)
- Prayer discernment to identify key areas that will make the most change (23:06)
Download the 8 Drivers Reference Guide for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.