Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
No matter what leadership role we’re in, we should be thinking about succession. Listen in as Peter Greer describes the seven practices to navigate mission-critical leadership transitions.
Listen to the Audio
It gives me great joy to welcome in one of our most popular guests on the Flourishing Culture Podcast, the President and CEO of HOPE International, Peter Greer. Peter, so good to see you.
I’m looking at a fresh copy of the new book you’ve co-authored with Doug Fagerstrom, who is CEO of Marketplace Chaplains. The title of your book is Succession: Seven Practices to Navigate Mission-Critical Leadership Transitions. Congratulations on the book.
Only 17% of organizations have actively taken the time and attention to say let’s think beyond the tenure of the current leader. We think that is too small .”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- What makes this book, Succession: Seven Practices to Navigate Mission-Critical Leadership so timely? (04:46)
- There is an increased number of transitions happening right now (05:39)
- Only 17% of organizations have a clear, documented succession plan (6:20)
- Only 17% of organizations have actively taken the time and attention to say let’s think beyond the tenure of the current leader. Peter and Doug think that is too small (6:32)
- “With all of the disruption of 2020 maybe this is a good time for all of us to get serious about planning, preparing for the moment when we transition” (6:40)
- Why seamless, successful leadership succession is never an option (09:54)
- A four-minute mile run through Peter’s new book (13:41)
- Why postures and practices combine to make successful succession (13:52)
- Why has surveying HOPE International’s staff been essential to sustaining a healthy, vibrant culture? (22:16)
- A key practice that would jeopardize succession (24:30)
- Keep the focus on the mission (25:05)
- U.S. men’s 4 x 100-meter Olympic team dropping the baton (31:46)
- Plan and prepare beyond your tenure (37:40)
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.