Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
As we progress through this pandemic, how are you shepherding the employees God has entrusted to you? In today’s episode, we hear from the CEO of a large, diverse ministry share how they are demonstrating care for their Outstanding Talent.
Listen to the Audio
The story my guest is about to share has a huge, potential upside. It’s a story that speaks to the #1 challenge every organization, every workplace culture, and every leader is facing right now.
For nearly 60 years, Bethesda has been offering faith-based care to seniors and then reinvesting their net revenue to support missionary endeavors around the world. Based in Colorado Springs, Bethesda operates more than 21 senior living facilities in 18 communities throughout the country. Their culture challenges speak to innovative strategies and some remarkable successes. Dana Rasic, CEO of Bethesda Associates—have I set the bar high enough for you?
If we truly desire honest feedback, we should seek it during the good and the ‘hard’ times.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- The challenge of blending different employment cultures in the workplace (03:06)
- The three most common words people say when they hear “senior living community” (03:22)
- What are the key factors in providing a flourishing environment for staff? (04:29)
- Trust and Transparency – open and honest communications (04:43)
- Striving to help team members maintain a healthy life balance (05:13)
- Providing routine encouragement in both written and video communications (05:50)
- Ability to attract and retain talent (6:32)
- The ability to provide quality training (06:57)
- What made Bethesda decide to get objective data on their workplace culture through the BCWI Employee Engagement survey? (08:22)
- How important is it to Bethesda’s staff and seniors to know that a portion of their net operating profits funds a child sponsorship ministry? (11:09)
- How to produce a high level of loyalty and commitment among the team (14:32)
- Cultivating innovation and learning among staff (16:31)
- Bold steps related to compensation and benefits, and yet overall employee engagement still went up (18:16)
- “If we truly desire honest feedback, we should seek it during the good and the ‘hard’ times.” (18:56)
- Additional insights about hiring, recruiting, retaining Outstanding Talent (19:36)
- Savings when turnover is reduced (24:12)
- How to address teams that have declined (25:47)
- How to develop high levels of trust between leaders and staff (27:40)
- “Organizational culture can be changed but it takes consistent focus. Don’t get discouraged if you ask for input and you get an answer that you don’t want. Try to view it as an opportunity and not an indictment.”(34:24)
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.