Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
As leaders in Christian organizations, we have the rare opportunity in the midst of this pandemic and social upheaval to influence our workplace culture and the world at large. Listen in as best-selling author, Philip Yancey encourages us to be different by reaching out and exhibiting grace. Listen in as he encourages us to be healers and bridge builders in our divided world.
Listen to the Audio
Philip Yancey is one of the most popular and revered Christian writers on the planet. His 30 books have sold 15 million copies. His bestsellers, include The Jesus I Never Knew, and Prayer: Does it Make Any Difference? Among his many well-read books is one that speaks to the upheavals and uncertainties of our present time. What my guest, Philip Yancey, has to share with you in the next few minutes will touch you wherever you live and work, and however, you’re seeking to follow Jesus.
How’s that for an intro? Philip Yancey, welcome to the Flourishing Culture podcast.
Being a leader is a bit like being a parent. Your goal is to grow an independent human being; to nourish a thriving human being—to create a flourishing culture so that under your leadership they reach as much potential as they possibly can.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- What is the great divide? (05:48)
- In the book, Philip identifies three kinds of grace dispensers (07:32)
- Pilgrims, activists, and artists (07:37)
- Culture shapers and culture shakers (08:13)
- Being a culture shaper by focusing on healthy organizational culture (10:33)
- Three questions every Christian needs to consider (12:16)
- The God question, the human question and the social question (12:22)
- What do today’s Christian leaders need to know to incarnate and thus model God’s grace? (17:06)
- A favorite story about grace from Philip (24:20)
- How does the reality of vanishing grace compromise the work of Christian organizations? (26:52)
- The only way people are going to know what God is like is if the body of Christ shows them (34:44)
Buy Philip’s book: Vanishing Grace: Bringing Good News To A Deeply Divided World
Buy Philip’s recent book: Fearfully And Wonderfully: The Marvel Of Bearing God’s Image
Follow Philip on Facebook
Follow Philip’s monthly blog
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.