Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
Imagine being the CE0 of a one hundred and eighty employee children’s home in Ohio during the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet they are not just surviving, they are thriving. How? Well, listen in as my colleague Cary Humphries talks with their CEO. He’s grateful, he’s a learner, and he’s a world-class trust builder. Listen in now!
Listen to the Audio
I’m Cary Humphries, Regional Director for the Best Christian Workplaces Institute, filling in for Al Lopus. I’m delighted to have as our guest, Kevin Hewitt, President and CEO of Christian Children’s Home of Ohio. Welcome, Kevin, to the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
What Al described with the Flourish model was exactly what we were hoping for at CCHO. Since then we have conducted the BCWI survey annually, and have learned new things each year, particularly as our culture evolves.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Leading a children’s home during the COVID-19 pandemic (05:32)
- What’s been the hardest challenge facing CCHO’s team of professionals who typically find life quite intense, to begin with? (05:42)
- The first challenge is: no defined end date, making it difficult to plan for what things will look like on the other side of the pandemic (07:30)
- The second challenge is trying to engage staff who might be on the opposite emotional ends of the spectrum concerning the pandemic (08:12)
- When fellow leaders ask, “Why did you turn to BCWI to survey your people?” What do you say?” (10:51)
- Looking for a survey with a much clearer spiritual and professional integration (11:40)
- Why the survey has made a difference for CCHO (13:00)
- How to build a workplace culture that’s strong in the area of Sustainable Strategy and goal achievement (18:21)
- The role of chief repeating officer (19:11)
- How making tough decisions can strengthen trust within your team (24:28)
- In a high trust environment, people make up a positive story (24:43)
- Benefits of a development plan (28:18)
Buy Patrick Lencioni’s book: The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else In Business
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.