Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
Dr. Gene Habecker is Senior Fellow with the Sagamore Institute (Leadership Development and Capacity Building) and President Emeritus of Taylor University. He’s also an Adjunct Professor in the PhD in Leadership program at Capital Seminary and Graduate School as well as the former President and CEO of American Bible Society. He’s the author of The Softer Side of Leadership: Essential Soft Skills That Transform Leaders and the People They Lead.
Gene, welcome to the Flourishing Culture Podcast. So, grateful to have you here.
Listen to the Audio
There’s more to effective leadership than just mastery of hard skills.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Trust is the glue of any organization
- A distinguishing leadership trait that should be treasured (2:59)
- Leadership is more about the people you serve than it ever is about you the leader (3:21)
- “David knew that the Lord had made him king of Israel and that he had made him a powerful ruler for the good of his people.” 2 Samuel 5:12 CEV (4:06)
- Understand better what leadership involves (5:36)
- How you relate to people and the importance of soft skills (8:09)
- “There’s more to effective leadership than just mastery of hard skills” (8:26)
- “Soft skills: a collection of primary qualitative skills, behaviors, practices, habits, disciplines, and attitudes that characterize how people interact and behave with one another” (9:41)
- 5 soft skills that are essential for every leader and should be mastered personally (10:54)
- The need to protect sacred space and to enable deep thinking (11:13)
- Make sure your leadership is built on the right foundation (11:24)
- Engage in self-discovery learning (11:50)
- The need to stay connected not just to your head but to your heart (11:59)
- Leaders need to take care of themselves personally (12:05)
- What are the soft skills that help organizations survive the difficult moments? (12:27)
- Organizations need to understand and celebrate creativity (12:38)
- The importance of embedding trust in an enterprise (13:02)
- The need to have accountability (13:11)
- The importance of having an attitude of forgiveness (13:43)
- The leader follower dynamic (13:50)
- The importance of love (14:20)
- Many leaders have no idea what God has called them to do in their leadership (21:06)
- Our colleagues play a huge role in a leader’s self-discovery (30:56)
- How does forgiveness play in organizational life? (40:53)
Buy Gene’s Book: The Softer Side of Leadership: Essential Soft Skills That Transform Leaders and the People They Lead
Buy Simon Sinek’s book: Leaders Eat Last
Download the 8 Drivers Reference Guide for FREE.
Read the Post
Read the blog post here: These Soft Skills Will Make You a Top Leader
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of episode here
The BCWI Employee Engagement Survey
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.