Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
Every leader leaves a wake behind them. Whether the wake is positive or negative depends on their integrity. Today’s episode is for Christian leaders who hope to live and finish strong. What are the secrets that are creating an integrity gap in your life, today? To learn about the common pitfalls and anecdotes that will help you flourish, stay tuned!
Integrity is having all the parts of your life: relationships, mindsets, feelings; moving in a singular direction—a God-oriented direction.”
Listen to the Audio
If you’re a leader, or if you work alongside a leader, or you aspire to be a leader, get ready. We’re going to talk about one of the biggest trouble spots leaders face. Something we’ve never talked about here on the podcast. Here’s the trouble spot:
Leaders who preach one set of values yet live by another are not just harming themselves. A leader’s lack of integrity may generate immense internal guilt and shame, but it also limits the effectiveness of any organization he or she leads.
Jeff and Terra Mattson are the married co-founders of Living Wholehearted and the Courageous Girls Movement. They coach leaders in a variety of settings, from corporate offices to leadership retreats and individual counseling. Their professional experience and research have formed their unique perspective on the relationship between leadership and integrity.
Their new book is called Shrinking the Integrity Gap: Between What Leaders Preach and Live. Jeff & Terra know this issue inside and out—and they’ve got some insightful, practical answers you can use. Jeff & Terra, welcome to the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
Integrity is a lifestyle, not an event.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Why is there a need for more conversation around the topic of integrity in leadership? (03:17)
- How do Jeff and Terra define the integrity gap? (05:46)
- What is at risk when leaders don’t see or address their integrity gaps? (05:50)
- Integrity is having all the parts of your life: relationships, mindsets, feelings; moving in a singular direction—a God-oriented direction (06:08)
- 10 Symptoms of a personal integrity gap (07:33)
- How integrity and authenticity build trust in an organization (13:13)
- Unresolved trauma lies at the root of many leaders’ integrity gaps (15:21)
- Why do Christian leaders have a hard time being honest about personal struggles? (19:30)
- How can we take steps to change this reality, particularly in a workplace culture where a leader’s integrity is essential? (19:38)
- For listeners who want to begin shrinking their integrity gaps, where can they begin? (30:33)
- The most important thing Jeff and Terra learned about integrity while writing their book (37:18)
Buy a copy of Jeff and Terra’s book, Shrinking the Integrity Gap: Between What Leaders Preach and Live
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.