Thanks for joining us on Season 2 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast! There is little question about the significant influence Willow Creek Community Church has had on leadership development in the Christian world. A key to Willow Creek’s healthy, flourishing culture has been developing outstanding talent. How do they do it? The answer just might benefit your organization.
Listen to the Episode
Today, Tara VanderSande, Willows’ Staff Development Director, will give us the inside scoop on their leadership development strategies.
We don’t come to work each day just to accomplish a task, but to accomplish our mission.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Why every organization problem is really a people problem
- How low management skills can transcend many areas of employee engagement
- “Facts are our friends” – How to examine your culture in terms of measurable data, not just anecdotal stories
- Creating a consistent and robust system of leadership training
- Willow’s Staff Development Courses: Sessions in staff meetings focused on emotional intelligence, with Q&A that leaders can use for team discussion afterward
- The most effective courses for Willow’s staff: giving and receiving feedback, creating a spiritually vital team culture, and creating a learning-agile culture
- Willow’s 3 Keys of Training and Development
Be curious about the real state of your staff engagement. With facts, a third party can help you blaze a trail for a healthy culture.
Explore Additional Resources
- Find Tara on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Find Willow Creek on Facebook and Twitter
- Learn more about Willow Creek: willowcreek.org
- Learn more in our blog post: 3 Steps to Grow Outstanding Talent on your Leadership Team
Books mentioned in this episode:
- Crucial Conversations and Crucial Accountability by Joseph Grenny
- Necessary Endings and Boundaries by Henry Cloud
- Situational Leadership by Ken Blanchard
Read the Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here.
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.