Thanks for joining us on Season 3 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast , brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company, brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
At some point, every church will face the inevitable challenge of transitioning from an outgoing pastor to a new pastor. This reality begs the question, “What is essential to successful pastoral succession—especially as its bound to affect the church’s workplace?”
Listen to the Audio
Our guest, today, is a national leader in this area, and he’s going to give you some valuable, practical wisdom you need to know. His name is William Vanderbloemen, the Founder and CEO of the Vanderbloemen Search Group in Houston.
William has been able to combine over 15 years of ministry experience as a Senior Pastor with the best practices of Executive Search to provide churches with a unique offering: a deep understanding of local church work with the very best knowledge and practices of professional executive search.
William is regularly invited to speak across the country in both church services and as a resource to churches and conferences on leadership. His book Next: Pastoral Succession That Works on effective pastoral leadership and succession was released through Baker Books in September 2014, and his book Search: The Pastoral Search Committee Handbook was released through B&H Books in June 2016.
I see smart churches spending more money on fewer people–have one good leader who can recruit and equip volunteers
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- How to build a great place to work
- Finding inspirational leadership for the church
- Having fun doesn’t mean you have a good culture
- Challenges that mega churches face when planning a succession
- Giving away authority to build up leaders
- Churches investing more in identifying leaders rather than specific talent sets
- What are the trends in church staffing?
- Smart churches are spending more money on fewer people
- Search committees should spend a lot of time in prayer and take time to learn your church
Explore Additional Resources
- Learn more about BCWI Engagement Survey
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: Six Critical Insights for Successful Pastoral Succession
- Learn more about William’s book Next: Pastoral Succession That Works
- Learn more about William’s book Search: The Pastoral Search Committee Handbook
- Learn more about William’s book Culture Wins: The Roadmap to an Irresistible Workplace
Read The Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of episode here
Employee Engagement Survey
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.