Thanks for joining us on Season 3 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast , brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company, brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
Today we are going to talk about one of the most dreaded, yet important parts of a leaders job….. addressing performance concerns… with truth and grace.
To help us navigate these treacherous waters — we have the pleasure of talking with Tara VanderSande, a true leader in Talent Development serving, in the current role of Staff Development Director at Willow Creek Community Church in the Chicago area.
Listen to the Audio
Hi Tara and welcome to our podcast!
You are stewarding people, resources and time. You can be both the protector and the pastor at the same time.”
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Learn about talent development lifecycles and performance management processes
- Managing a person who is not meeting the job’s expectations
- Matthew 25. Parable of the talents
- Select, employ and deploy people effectively
- Hiring right, alignment of the four Cs (Calling, Competency, Character, Chemistry), onboarding, training and development
- Long term development of leadership pipeline
- Provide ongoing candid feedback, let them know where they stand and what they can do to get better
- How to address “fit” concerns
- Doing nothing about performance concerns is dishonoring
- The kindest form of management is telling the truth
- Types of “fit” concerns: attitude, underperformance, role bigger than skill, new challenge needed
Explore Additional Resources
- Learn more about BCWI Engagement Survey
- Learn more on last week’s blog post: How to Address Performance Concerns with Confidence and Results
- Learn more about Randy Alcorn’s book: The Grace and Truth Paradox: Responding with Christlike Balance
Read The Transcript
Download a complete, word-for-word transcript of episode here
Employee Engagement Survey
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.